Sunday, October 22, 2006

Let Me Sleep A While 'Cos I Cannot Stand, Break My Fingers, Hold My Hand...

Well after spending the last few months in search of work and not being able to find a damn thing I’ve decided to take another look at the situation. I really want to put my photography HND to good use especially after 3 years of hard work at college for it, the only problem is that no jobs seem to be going and those that are either don’t bother getting in touch again or are completely different jobs altogether.

My aunt lives in London and is a photographer, all I knew was that she did some stuff in theatres because she used to be an actress but I never thought it was anything major. She found out about my HND in photography and said she’d take me to some photo-calls in London so I can sell my images off to the press. I wasn’t too keen until I checked out her website, not only had she done a tonne of work which was really good, she’s also taken the portfolio photos for Imelda Staunton, Ewan McGregor, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Patsy Palmer, Ike Turner, John Culshaw, Catherine Tate, David Soul as well as loads more. I think that if I go to London to do some work there it won’t be for a while yet but I’m really looking for to it now.

Another option I was considering was to sign on again, it isn’t something I want to do or even like doing but it’s a bit of money to pay for drinks…I mean bus fares to interviews, and I think that when you have no money it shatters your confidence completely so it’s good just to be getting a little every week just to get you out of the house. I went to the job centre and asked about signing on, at first they looked at me confused because computers do everything for them now, but in the end they pointed to the phones and grunted something at me. I phoned a number and was given a telephone interview for claiming JSA (job seeker’s allowance), they asked me a bunch of questions, one of the last ones was if I spoke English, I get the 2nd part of the interview tomorrow afternoon.

On the way home I was thinking back to one of the questions asked…

“Do you have your own business?”

…obviously I don’t but this got me thinking, what if I did have my own business?

For the past few weeks I’ve been restoring old family photos with some being over 100 years old, it’s something I like doing and (without blowing my own trumpet) something I’m pretty good at. If I started my own photo restoration business I could make a fortune, not only are there hardly any outgoing costs (paper, ink, advertising), but you can charge big money for this kind of thing and I could work from home, I think this week I’m going to start researching this a bit more, I’ve just purchased a graphics tablet too so this week I’ll try and upload some of the photos I’ve restored.

...您講英語嗎?

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, 25 October, 2006, Blogger Gareth said...

Don't you need to have ribs removed to blow your own trumpet?


poopytrim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home